Header Top Bar

WhatsApp Us +65 8699 8821

Comprehensive Guide to Dependant Pass Singapore

Comprehensive Guide to Dependant Pass Singapore

The Dependant Pass (DP) Visa is a provision in Singapore’s immigration policy that allows holders of certain work passes, such as those with an Employment Pass or ONE Pass, to bring over specified family members to join them in Singapore. As beneficiaries of the DP, these family members can live in Singapore and, with appropriate approvals, can pursue employment or educational opportunities. This article is designed to clarify any questions you may have about the Dependant Pass and the broader context of immigration in Singapore.

Key Details on the Dependant’s Pass Scheme

  • Initiating a Dependant’s Pass application is the responsibility of the employer of the primary work pass holder or a designated employment agent with expertise in corporate services.
  • The Dependant’s Pass is available to the legally married spouse and unmarried children of work pass holders, including those with an EntrePass, Employment Pass (EP), Personalised Employment Pass (PEP), and S Pass. The Employment Pass holders, in particular, play a significant role in sponsoring their families for the Dependant’s Pass, highlighting the importance of understanding the eligibility and application process for those working in Singapore.
  • The Dependant’s Pass duration is aligned with the main work pass’s validity period.
  • Applications for renewing the Dependant’s Pass should be submitted up to six months before the current pass expires.
  • Family members associated with an EP, PEP, ONE Pass, or EntrePass may pursue employment opportunities in Singapore by obtaining an Employment Pass, S Pass, Work Permit, or a Letter of Consent (LOC) if they are planning to start a business. For guidance on setting up a business in Singapore, our team is here to help.

Eligibility Requirements for the Dependant’s Pass

For those seeking to obtain a Dependant’s Pass, the following familial relationships with the work pass holder are acknowledged:

  • Legally married spouses and
  • Unmarried children under the age of 21, including those who are legally adopted.

To sponsor dependants for a stay in Singapore, holders of EP, PEP, and S Pass must demonstrate a minimum monthly income of S$6,000.

EntrePass holders must meet certain criteria related to yearly business spending and hiring local employees.

Documentation Required

When applying for a Dependant’s Pass, the following documents need to be provided:

  • A copy of the passport identification page.

The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) might request additional documentation, such as:

  • A copy of the marriage certificate (for spouses)
  • A copy of the official birth certificate (for children under 21)
  • A copy of the adoption order (for adopted children under 21)
  • Vaccination Records (for entry into Singapore): Necessary for overseas-born children under the age of 12 applying for a new Dependant’s Pass, as issued by the Health Promotion Board.

It is important to note that all submitted documents should be in English or accompanied by an official English translation.

Guide to Applying for a Dependant’s Pass in Singapore

Securing a Dependant’s Pass (DP) in Singapore is a multi-step process, typically initiated by the employer of the work pass holder or through a certified employment agent:

  1. Submitting the application: The application for the DP needs to be lodged via the EP Online platform. An application fee of S$105 is required. The processing duration can differ: it may take about 3 weeks for dependants of EP and S Pass holders, and up to 8 weeks for those associated with Employment Pass (Sponsorship), PEP, or EntrePass holders.
  2. In-principle approval (IPA) notification: Once the application is successful, the applicant will be informed through EP Online and receive an IPA letter. The applicant then has 6 months (or 2 months for S Pass dependants) to complete the DP formalities after they arrive in Singapore.
  3. Finalising the DP: After arriving in Singapore, the applicant or their sponsor must input the necessary details into EP Online to complete the DP process, which includes:
  • The applicant’s passport details
  • Details of the current immigration pass or Short Term Visit Pass
  • Contact and residential address in Singapore
  • DP card delivery information
  • Contact details for delivery status updates
  • A DP issuance fee of S$225

In some cases, additional documents may be requested, such as:

  • The Disembarkation/Embarkation card
  • A medical examination report or health declaration form
  • A declaration form from the IPA letter

The DP is usually issued shortly after these details are submitted.

  1. DP issuance notification: The applicant will receive a notification letter, which allows for a month of travel in and out of Singapore or until the DP card is collected. The letter will also mention if biometric data is required.
  2. Biometric data recording and photo session: New applicants or those whose last biometric registration was more than 5 years ago need to have their fingerprints and photo captured. This should be done within 2 weeks for dependants of EP, PEP, and EntrePass holders, and within 1 week for S Pass dependants. An appointment must be booked at the Employment Pass Services Centre, where the following documents should be presented:
  • The original passport
  • Appointment confirmation
  • The notification letter
  • All documents mentioned in the IPA and notification letters
  1. Collection of the DP card: The DP card will be ready for collection within 4 working days after the biometric registration.

Appealing Against a Dependant’s Pass Rejection

If a Dependant’s Pass application is not approved, the sponsor has up to three months to file an appeal. This appeal must present new or clarified information that addresses the reasons for the initial rejection.

The entire appeal process is managed online, and the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) customarily takes a minimum of three weeks to evaluate and respond to the appeal.

Opportunities for Employment and Education for Holders of Dependant Passes

Employment for Dependant Pass (DP) Holders

Dependants of EntrePass, Employment Pass, or Personalised Employment Pass holders who have a Dependant Pass in Singapore may seek employment. However, they must obtain the appropriate work permits or a Letter of Consent prior to starting a business. The application for these permits should be made by the employer or an accredited employment agent and should meet the necessary criteria for salary, quotas, and levies set by the Ministry of Manpower.

The duration of the work permit for a Dependant Pass holder depends on the validity of the main work pass. Those with a Work Permit are not subject to certain conditions, such as local hiring requirements, periodic medical exams, security bonds, and restrictions regarding pregnancy.

If a Dependant Pass holder obtains an Employment Pass or S Pass, the Ministry of Manpower must be informed to cancel the Dependant Pass.

Educational Opportunities for DP Holders

Children under a Dependant Pass have the option to enrol in private or public schools for primary and secondary education in Singapore. Admission to public schools is competitive and based on seat availability.

In the case of tertiary education, Dependant Pass holders who wish to attend a university in Singapore typically need to secure a Student Pass. If the academic program is shorter than the validity of the Dependant Pass, a Letter of Consent from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) may be sufficient.

Renewal Procedures for Dependant Passes

For individuals holding a Dependant Pass (DP) in Singapore, the validity of their pass is directly linked to the duration of the main work permit. To initiate a renewal, the employer of the main work pass holder or an authorised employment agent must submit a renewal request to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

A proactive approach to renewal is advisable, with applications accepted up to six months prior to the current DP’s expiry date. This ensures the continuity of the pass, as the new validity period will begin only after the previous pass expires.

Dependants of those with an EP, PEP, or S Pass can manage their renewal through the online EP Online system. On the other hand, dependants of EntrePass holders are required to send their applications via post.

The approval for renewal is contingent upon meeting the MOM’s current eligibility criteria at the time of the renewal application. Upon approval, an in-principle approval letter is provided by MOM.

The steps to complete the issuance of the renewed DP are similar to the initial application process and may include biometric registration, updating of photographs, and the collection of a new DP card.

Steps for Replacement of a Misplaced or Damaged DP Card

In instances where a DP card is misplaced, stolen, or damaged, the responsibility falls on the employer or employment agent to request a replacement within a week’s time. The submission of a police report is necessary if the card has been stolen, and it must be provided in English or accompanied by a certified English translation.

For DP holders who are outside of Singapore when their card is lost or stolen, the employer of the main work pass holder must notify MOM immediately. In response, MOM will issue a letter to facilitate the DP holder’s return to Singapore.

The application for a replacement card is made through the EP Online portal and includes a non-refundable fee based on the nature of the card’s loss:

  • S$60 for cards that have been damaged
  • S$100 for the first instance of a lost card, escalating to S$300 for any subsequent losses

Following approval, MOM provides a letter with instructions on how to collect the new card.

Notification of Changes to the Ministry of Manpower

It is imperative for the main pass holder’s employer or the designated employment agent to swiftly inform the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) of any changes in the Dependant Pass holder’s residential address or personal particulars. Such updates must be communicated within 5 days of the change through an amendment submission on the EP Online platform. During this process, the necessary supporting documents must be uploaded. MOM typically processes these updates within a week. It’s crucial to be aware that MOM has phased out the acceptance of written notifications for changes in personal details.

Cancellation Procedures for Dependant’s Pass

The revocation of the primary work pass leads to the automatic cancellation of all associated Dependant Passes. Moreover, a Dependant Pass must be cancelled in the following scenarios:

  • If the main work pass holder becomes a Permanent Resident of Singapore,
  • If the Dependant Pass holder permanently moves away from Singapore, or
  • When the Dependant Pass holder obtains an Employment Pass or S Pass on their own.

The initiation of the cancellation process must be undertaken by the main pass holder’s employer or a certified employment agent via the myMOM Portal. Meanwhile, to ensure legal residency during the cancellation period, the Dependant Pass holder can apply for a Short-Term Visit Pass (STVP) that is valid for up to 30 days. Upon departure from Singapore, the STVP must be surrendered to immigration authorities.

Following the cancellation, any related Letters of Consent or Work Permits are invalidated.

After the Dependant Pass is cancelled, it is obligatory to cut the pass card in half and dispose of it securely to prevent misuse.

Pathway to Permanent Residency for DP Holders

Dependant Pass holders can pursue permanent residency in Singapore via the primary work pass holder’s application. Dependants can be included in the Permanent Residency application filed by the work pass holder.

To ensure a seamless transition to permanent residency, it is recommended to engage the services of a professional filing agent, such as a corporate service provider, who can provide expert guidance and ensure that all documentation meets the requirements set by the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA).

Frequently Asked Questions About Dependant Passes

  • Eligible family members for a Dependant Pass include the legally married spouse and the unmarried children (including legally adopted children) under 21 years of age, of an individual holding a Singapore work pass such as an Employment Pass, Personalised Employment Pass, EntrePass, or S-Pass, with a minimum monthly income of S$6,000.

    Additionally, EntrePass holders are required to fulfil certain local employment and business expenditure thresholds before their qualified family members can join them in Singapore.

    Should your family members not meet the criteria for a Dependant Pass, they have the option to apply for a Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP).
  • A photocopy of the personal details page of the applicant's passport is mandatory for a Dependant Pass application.

    The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) may also request supplementary documents, such as birth or marriage certificates, tailored to the specific circumstances of the family member applying. Further details on the documentation required for different family member categories can be found on the MOM website.

    It is important to note that all submissions must be in English. Any documents in other languages should be accompanied by an English translation.
  • DP holders wishing to start their own business must first secure a Letter of Consent (LOC) from the relevant authorities. Upon receipt of the LOC, they may commence business operations. The LOC typically takes about 4 weeks to process.

    Alternatively, DP holders seeking employment must apply for an Employment Pass, S Pass, or Work Permit in Singapore.

    The period of validity for a Dependant Pass is aligned with the validity of the main work pass holder's visa. Employers or accredited employment agents are responsible for initiating the renewal process for both the Dependant Pass and the main work pass by submitting the necessary paperwork to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) up to six months before the expiration of the passes.
  • Indeed, a holder of a Dependant Pass is eligible to apply for permanent residency alongside the main work pass holder. The approval for permanent residency for the Dependant Pass holder often coincides with the approval of the main work pass holder's application.
  • In such events, the employer or an appointed employment agent must be promptly informed to apply for a replacement card within seven days of the incident.

    If the Dependant Pass was stolen, a police report is necessary to accompany the application for a replacement card. This report must be provided in English.

    In the case of losing the card while abroad, it is crucial to immediately contact the employer of the main work pass holder to inform MOM. A letter will then be issued to facilitate re-entry into Singapore for the Dependant Pass holder.
  • To apply for a replacement card, one must submit a request through the EP Online system on the MOM website. The fee for replacing a damaged card is S$60, while the fee for replacing a lost card is S$100 for the first instance and S$300 for subsequent instances. These fees are non-refundable.

About the Author

Mel Bakar

Mel specializes in Employment Pass and Work Pass applications through the Ministry of Manpower. She also handles Long-Term Visit Pass applications through the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority.

More on Business Blogs

Contact Us