What is Singapore’s New Complementarity Assessment Framework (COMPASS)?
COMPASS is a points-based framework that helps employers choose highly qualified foreign professionals by offering businesses enhanced clarity and certainty in their manpower planning.
Employment Pass (EP) applicants must pass this new framework apart from meeting the salary requirements.
When Will COMPASS Start?
COMPASS will be applicable to:
- New applications from 1st Sept 2023
- Renewal applications from 1st Sept 2024
How Does COMPASS Work?
The new framework assesses EP applications using a well-rounded set of individual and company-related aspects.
They form 4 basic criteria that give points to applications depending on whether expectations are met or exceeded.
- Exceeds expectations: 20 points
- Meets expectations: 10 points
- Falls below expectations: 0 points
Applications can also earn additional points under the bonus criteria. These criteria acknowledge applications providing skills facing a shortage or supporting key economic priorities, hence producing quality jobs for Singaporeans.
How to Pass COMPASS
Applications must score at least 40 points to pass the framework.
Those that meet expectations on all foundational criteria will pass – otherwise, those that fall short can achieve the points needed by exceeding expectations or by obtaining bonus points.
Applicants are exempted from COMPASS if they meet any of these criteria:
- Earn a fixed monthly salary of at least S$22,500
- Apply as an overseas intra-corporate transferee under the World Trade Organisation (WTO)’s General Agreement on Trade In Services/applicable Free Trade Agreement (FTA)
- Taking on a role for a short time period, such as 1 month